No matter who you are, if you buy fruit, at some point you’re probably going to get fruit flies in your house. Those annoying little gnat-like pests tend hover around the kitchen sink, or potted plants, or bowls of fruit. Oftentimes fruit flies (or their eggs) are brought into the home on fruit bought at the supermarket. Once you’ve spotted one, you can be certain there will be dozens more to come. So how to get rid of fruit flies before they take over? This easy home remedy will have you fruit-fly-free in no time!
How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies (FAST!)
How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies with Vinegar:
- Boil 2 cups of white vinegar and pour down the drain. You can do this on any and every drain in your house.
- A few days after the first treatment, treat again to ensure any remaining eggs or larvae have been destroyed.
- (A gallon of the Walmart brand vinegar is only $2.48!)
In addition to the fruit flies near your drain, you may have them near fruit bowls or potted plants, etc… For those:
- Put out a dish or shallow bowl of apple cider vinegar.
- Add 2 drops of dish liquid to the middle of the surface of the vinegar.
- Fruit flies will be attracted to the apple cider vinegar, but the dish soap will disrupt the surface tension of the liquid and they’ll sink.
**These also look very effective if your homemade vinegar/dish soap traps aren’t very effective. This attack on both fronts should that even the worst plague of fruit flies is gone in no time!