Target is the second-largest retailer of discounted merchandise in the United States. Target sells a variety of merchandise that includes food, clothing, electronics, toys, health and beauty supplies, and much more. The store offers many different ways to save on their merchandise that includes coupons, a web and phone app, weekly sales, and other promotions. With all the ways to save, Target is a favorite among bargain shoppers and couponers alike.
Target offers a fairly lax coupon policy
, which makes it easy to save money there. The policy covers Target coupons, manufacturer coupons, Internet coupons, and mobile coupons. Target does reserve the right to accept, refuse, or limit the use of any coupon.
- Target accepts one manufacturer and one store coupon for each item.
- All coupons must be surrendered during checkout.
- All items purchased must match their coupon in brand, size, quantity, color, and flavor.
- Coupon amount may be reduced if it exceeds the value of the item after other coupons are applied.
- Target does not give cash back if the value of the coupon(s) is greater than the item.
- Guests pay the sales tax on the full price of the item.
- There is a limit of 4 identical coupons per household per day (unless stated otherwise on coupon)
- Guests cannot combine BOGO manufacturer coupons; however, they can still use one store coupon for the first (paid) item.
- Guests cannot use another manufacturer coupon along with a BOGO coupon.
- All printed manufacturer coupons are accepted as long as there is a scannable barcode.
- Internet coupons for free items without purchase requirements are not accepted.
- Target accepts valid printable coupons from Target.com.
- Target accepts mobile coupons from their text alerts.
- Guests can only redeem one store coupon per item; mobile and other store coupons cannot be combined.
- Target accepts category and storewide coupons.
- If guests plan to use more than one category coupon, they must meet the requirements for each one.
- Category and storewide coupons can be used together, but the guest must meet the purchase requirements for each separately.
- Percent off coupons apply to all qualifying items in the transaction, and guests cannot use coupons for the same category or storewide coupons.
- Target does not accept coupons that are copied, scanned, transferred, purchased, sold, prohibited by law, or appear altered.
- Target monitors the Coupon Information Corporation (CIC) for counterfeit coupons and does not accept them.
- Target does not accept mobile versions of manufacturer coupons.
- Target does not accept coupons from other retailers, or coupons for items not carried in stores.
- Target does not accept expired coupons.
- Canadian coupons are not accepted in US stores.
- Guests returning items purchased with a manufacturer coupon may receive the coupon value in a gift certificate.
Types of Coupons and Discounts Available for Use at Target
When shopping at Target, you can use many different kinds of coupons and discounts to your advantage to get he lowest price. Being aware of the sales, what gift cards they are offering, and what coupons are available are essential when couponing.
Target accepts the following:
- Manufacture coupons, included printed ones
- Target store coupons, included printed ones
- Target mobile coupons
- Target Cartwheel offers
- Percent off coupons
- Whole transaction dollar off coupons
- Target gift cards
Refer to the Target Coupon Policy, as it discusses how to use these coupons and discounts. When using coupons, be sure to read the requirements of the purchase prior to checking out to ensure you have the right product.
Manufacturer coupons are not hard to come by. You can find them in the coupon inserts in the Sunday paper. Magazines, flyers in the mail, and blinkie machines in stores also distribute manufacturer coupons. Printed coupons are available online from many different websites such as Coupons.com, Smartsource.com, and Redplum.com. However, there are many more places where you can find coupons.
Target coupons are most readily available on Targetâ€™s website. You can sometimes find Target coupons in the inserts within the Sunday paper. At least twice a year, you can find a single insert offering many Target coupons. Other places you might find Target coupons are magazines or in-store flyers. Some mailed flyers also contain coupons.
Target Mobile Coupons
You can receive Target Mobile Coupons by sending a text to 827438 (TARGET). Alternatively, you can sign up for this service at Target.com/mobile. Message and data rates will apply when you subscribe. You can redeem these coupons by having a Target team member scan the barcode during checkout. There is also a Baby Alerts service. Target will send you mobile coupons for baby items. You can sign up by filling out the form at m.target.com/sms/baby/form
Target Cartwheel is a phone and web app that you can use to save even more with at Target. Once you sign up and download the app for Android
or the iPhone
, you can start claiming offers. Offers are available in many different categories such as food, apparel, and toys. Sometimes offers will include certain brands or certain items. Offers range from 5 to 50% off each product or department. Read each offer carefully, as there are some exclusions, such as clearance merchandise.
When using Target Cartwheel, you can stack these offers with coupons. There are many ways to do this. You can stack a Cartwheel offer with another Target coupon or mobile coupon. You can also use one Target coupon, one manufacturer coupon, and a Target Cartwheel offer. On top of all that, you can still use the storewide coupons such as $5 off $50 purchase. These coupons sometimes come in the mail or in the Sunday paper.
Target does price match certain local competing retailers. This includes stores that are located in the same city or market area. They will price match to the current weekâ€™s ad, which means you must have it with you. They also price match website prices such as Target.com, Walmart.com, and Amazon.com. You must be able to show a Target team member the online price, and the item cannot be sold out.
When price matching, you can use coupons as normal. However, Target coupons and Cartwheel offers will come off the original purchase price first, and then if the cost is still higher than the competitor, Target will adjust the price. Manufacturer coupons come out of the cost after the price match. Storewide dollar off coupons can still be used in this case too, as long as price requirements are met. There are many exclusions that you can read up on in the price match policy
Using Store Matchups
The best way to maximize your savings at Target is to use a set of store matchups. These matchups list all of the current weekly sales, price per item, and coupons/offers available to take advantage of when shopping. When considering matchups, remember to follow the coupon policy. You will also need to understand some of the popular coupon lingo.
â–ºâ–º Save an EXTRA 5% with the Target Card!
- BOGO or B1G1: Buy one get one, this could mean a free item, 50% one item, etc.
- $1/1, $1/2,â€¦: $1 off one item, $1 off two of the same items
- GC: Gift card
- MIR: Mail in rebate
- PSA: Prices starting at
- PC: Price cuts
- ETS: Excludes trail sizes in coupon/promotion
- TMF: Try me free promotion (usually in coupon form)
- Q: Coupon
- MQ: Manufacturer coupon
- TQ: Target coupon
- WYB: When you buy
- X: Expiration date on a coupon
- YMMV: Your mileage may vary, this means you might not find the same deal at every store
- OOP: Out of pocket, the amount you spent on the purchase