Treat your family to a sweet, healthy, homemade version of frozen classic popsicles! With the bounty of berries and other fruit available during the summer months, there's no reason to serve sugary popsicles or frozen treats loaded with high fructose corn syrup or other unhealthy ingredients (like dyes, etc.). Use whole fruits, fresh squeezed juices, and natural sweeteners for this summer treat. Your kids will think they're getting dessert, when in fact they'll be getting a nice helping of fruit! Making your own popsicles allows you to control the quality of ingredients, save money in the long run, and reduce waste. With reusable molds
, you avoid having tons of individual wrappers, and in many cases, there are no sticks to throw away. There are many BPA free plastic molds on the market, including cool rocket-shaped molds, star-shaped molds, or grooved popsicle molds. There is no waste with these plastic versions, and kids will love the fun shapes of their popsicles.
Supplies & Ingredients
- popsicle molds
- blender (doesn't need to be an expensive one)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen berries (I use a blend of blueberries and strawberries)
- freshly squeezed fruit juice (I use the juice of one whole lime, orange, or lemon. Lime is our favorite!)
- 1 cup filtered water (find the water filter we use and love here)
- natural sweetener of your choice - to taste (I use a tablespoon of pure maple syrup [more if using lemon juice]), but you could also use raw honey or another sweetener of your choice.) (where to buy natural sweeteners)
Measurements are approximate and may need to be increased or decreased depending on the capacity of your popsicle molds. This recipe makes about 2½ cups of popsicle mixture.
Add all ingredients to your blender and blend on high, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides if needed. Add a little more water if the mixture isn't circulating in the blender. Adjust sweetener or other ingredients if needed, and blend a little more. Pour mixture into popsicle molds, secure lids (and sticks depending on your mold), and freeze for several hours or overnight.
- Experiment with different variations of this recipe to create a no sugar added popsicle you love!
- Try adding different berries, or any other fruit you have on hand.
- Switch up the fruit juice in the recipe for a different flavor.
- Drop a surprise into the bottom of each mold before adding liquid, like a whole berry, slice of banana or kiwi, or a little orange or lemon zest.
- Use yogurt instead of water for a creamy pop.
We recently purchased the Zoku Slow Pops: Fish Pop Molds
for our homemade popsicles. It was the perfect option for us as we work to eliminate plastic waste from our home. In fact, there`s no waste with these molds since even the stick is reusable. While the Zoku does provide some recipes, I was happy sticking with the simple "pour juice in & freeze" method. This set includes various underwater molds including a shark, Clownfish, Octopus, Whale, Puffer Fish and even a Zoku Scuba Diver. Mix and match the tails for fun and surprising results. The sticks contain drip guards and have amusing "skeletons" that are revealed as the pops are eaten. I found making the popsicles was easy and mess free. I just poured the juice in the mold, let it freeze for several hours and pulled them out. While it is advertised no water is needed to pull out the ice pops, I found it was better to use it anyway. I had one mold come out perfectly intact, the others broke in half (without using water and just pulling out). Other than that though these tasted great. Now they are quite small in size, perfect for a toddler or mini treat. Since they`re cute though I guess it makes up for it. Plus they sit evenly in the freezer without any issues. Overall it`s pretty cool. Less trash waste plus homemade always tastes better! I just wish these were a bit larger in size. Then again they may not fit in the freezer if they were.
Psst... Want to earn FREE gift cards to use towards your Amazon purchases? Join me on DealSpotr (share deals and coupons to earn points for Amazon) and Swagbucks (get paid to search and redeem for prizes and gift cards).
GET FREE 2-DAY SHIPPING WITH AMAZON PRIME!!
>> Check out more Amazon deals here >> See Today's Daily Deals on Amazon here
Check out some Prime member-exclusive benefits:
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.