World Elephant Day is August 12 and we want to implement a viral program to support the Wildlife Conservation Societyâ€™s 96 Elephants campaign. This initiative focuses on protecting forest elephants from extinction through awareness and legislation. More than 35,000 elephants are killed by poachers each year for their ivory and the goal of the campaign is to stop the killing, demand and trafficking of elephant ivory.
There are a number of ways you can be a part of this and spread the word. The more you do the more awareness we can raise! And there are gentle messages for children as well. So, please post all the below information on your blog and social media and help bring in friends, and your community! This is one of the most important events of the year for WCS, and we would really appreciate your help spreading this news and taking part in the social media activities; please confirm if youâ€™ll be able to do so.
Now, more than ever we need your support for a cause that is very important for the Wildlife Conservation Society â€“ 96 Elephants. The 96 Elephants campaign, named for the number of elephants currently gunned down each day by poachers, focuses on: securing effective U.S. moratorium laws; bolstering elephant protection with additional funding; and educating the public about the link between ivory consumption and the elephant poaching crisis. You can learn more about 96 Elephants at the official site, www.96elephants.org.
Hereâ€™s how you can help:
- Let the kids get creative and color in their own elephant, using a special template; take a picture of their masterpiece and share on social media using the hashtag #elphie
- Print out elephant masks for the entire family and take pictures of yourselves wearing the masks, then upload them to social media using the hashtag #elphie. Hereâ€™s a link to print the mask: https://bit.ly/1s1IZTr
- On August 12, World Elephant Day, change your social profile picture to be one of you in the elephant mask and include the caption â€œjoin the herdâ€ along with a link to the 96 Elephants information page: https://pages.96elephants.org/wed/
- Go to 96elephants.org and sign-up and encourage your readers to take the pledge to not buy ivory and support the US ban (and state bans) against ivory sales.
- Donate a tweet or Facebook post to the cause via Thunderclap and help spread the word together, all at once, on World Elephant Day. Tell your followers to do the same. thndr.it/1kqIbYo
- Visit the Bronx Zoo, Central Park Zoo, or other WCS parks on World Elephant Day or anytime during the week of August 12-17 and show your support by wearing grey and participating in elephant themed educational activities.
- Download the 96 Elephants advocacy tool kit and take part in all you can!
- Follow 96 Elephants on social media: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube