Spiders? Bees? Mosquitoes? No thank you.
If you love the outdoors (like most of us here at Simply Earth) but also find it unacceptable that bugs are a thing, it’s time to look into DIY natural bug repellent roll-ons. A natural bug repellent recipe with essential oils can make all the difference when venturing outdoors to take in fall’s whimsical colors. If you’re looking for extra pest protection, this Don’t Bug Me Roll On, with natural ingredients that make it a safe bug repellent for home use, is the perfect bug-deterring addition.
What’s in This All-Natural Bug Repellant Recipe?
Lemon Eucalyptus Essential Oil
This is your main bug-fighting ingredient. A major component of Lemon Eucalyptus Essential Oil
’s chemical makeup is citronella, which has the unique ability to mask the aromas that bugs are attracted to
Clove Essential Oil
Clove Essential Oil
not only gives your Don’t Bug Me Roll On a slight spicy fall flare, but also boosts to your repellant’s bug-fighting abilities thanks to a special something called eugenol. Engenol, a natural chemical that irritates bugs, is one of the main constituents of this oil.
Science is cool, I’m telling you!
Fractionated Coconut Oil
We can’t forget about our handy dandy carrier oil! Adding fractionated coconut oil
, or a carrier oil of your choice, is important as it allows you to dilute your lemon eucalyptus and clove essential oils so they’re safe for you and your skin.
Don’t Bug Me Roll On Recipe
Add essential oils to the roll-on bottle. Swirl to mix.
Fill the bottle the rest of the way with fractionated coconut oil. Seal and swirl to mix. Label roll-on.
Apply to pulse points to help keep bugs away.
Things to Remember While Using Your Natural Insect Repellent Roll On
- This recipe is safe to use with children over the age of 10.
- Because clove essential oil can irritate skin, be sure to properly follow this recipe’s dilution instructions and avoid using this recipe if you have sensitive skin.
- Because it uses clove essential oil, avoid using this bug repellent roll on if you’re pregnant.
- Lemon eucalyptus and clove essential oil can be irritating to cats, so you’ll want to avoid using your roll on around cats.
- Clove essential oil can also be irritating to dogs, so avoid using your roll on around dogs.
- Avoid using this roll in if you are on antidepressant or anticoagulant medications as clove essential oil may interfere with these medications.
- Avoid using this roll-on if you have high blood pressure or epilepsy due to the presence of lemon eucalyptus essential oil in its recipe.
- Never ingest any essential oil, even if it’s generally regarded as safe.
Please note: This post is a compilation of suggestions made by those that have extensively used essential oils from Simply Earth and has not been verified scientifically with clinical tests nor reviewed by medical experts. It is anecdotal information and should be treated as such. For serious medical concerns, please consult your doctor.