I have always wanted to have the "wet look" for my hair. You know, how it looks wet, but it`s not. Let me explain why.Â Not only do I like the way the style looks, but I have thick hair that just poofs! So I never wear it down because I hate the whole big poof thing. Well I once again have teamed up with Tropical Traditions
, this time for some of their Virgin Coconut Oil for Hair Treatment
. Plus, they`re going to send one of my readers a jar of their own!
Now you may remember back in December 2009 I did a review (HERE
) on some Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil. What I was not fully aware of though was being able to use it on your hair! Sure, I read about it somewhere, but I never personally tried it. So now I had a chance!
Last night I went ahead and took my shower and gave this stuff a try. You can use it for dry scalp or a conditioner. Well, since I tried it out as a conditioner and dry scalp. I basically just loaded my hair down with it and massaged my scalp, sort of get a two for one out of it since I do have dry scalp when the weather changes. Well after I followed the directions, I rinsed my hair. Now at first I was getting skeptical. I never did this before and just seemed a bit odd. At first my hair just seemed a bit more oily so I was starting to get nervous. I mean, who wants to have hair that looks dirty & oily? So I used my regular shampoo and conditioner again after I rinsed most of the virgin oil out and then proceeded to towel dry most of my hair and the rest I just let air dry.
When I was finally out, My hair wasn`t quite as oily as it seemed. In fact, it felt smooth and soft and it still felt clean! Much different than actually bathing. I also noticed my skin that was in contact with the virgin oil was softer and smoother as well. Now I did this last night and only delayed in posting my review because of a virus I had to get removed. Well, I`m glad I had to wait! I went to sleep (after getting too aggravated to deal with the computer virus) and woke up to my hair with that "wet look"! I was then much more thrilled about the product. I always wanted to accomplish this look but not have to use gel or anything and I did, purely by accident. Now whether or not this is the way it`s supposed to come out, I can`t honestly say, but I love it! My hair still feels fresh and clean after being out and about all day in the hot and humid New Orleans weather!
Coconut oil has been used for hair treatment in coconut producing countries such as India and the Philippines for thousands of years. Studies in India have been done on how effective various oils are on treating damaged hair. The study compared mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil because these were the three most commonly used oils in hair treatment products used in India. The aim of this study was to cover different treatments, and the effect of these treatments on various hair types using these three oils. The number of experiments to be conducted was a very high number, and a technique termed as the "Taguchi Design of Experimentation" was used. Their results:
The findings clearly indicate the strong impact that coconut oil application has to hair as compared to application of both sunflower and mineral oils. Among three oils, coconut oil was the only oil found to reduce the protein loss remarkably for both undamaged and damaged hair when used as a pre-wash and post-wash grooming product. Both sunflower and mineral oils do not help at all in reducing the protein loss from hair. This difference in results could arise from the composition of each of these oils. Coconut oil, being a triglyceride of lauric acid (principal fatty acid), has a high affinity for hair proteins and, because of its low molecular weight and straight linear chain, is able to penetrate inside the hair shaft. Mineral oil, being a hydrocarbon, has no affinity for proteins and therefore is not able to penetrate and yield better results. In the case of sunflower oil, although it is a triglyceride of linoleic acid, because of its bulky structure due to the presence of double bonds, it does not penetrate the fiber, consequently resulting in no favorable impact on protein loss. (Rele AS, Mohile RB. "Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage." Journal Cosmetology Science 2003 Mar-Apr;54(2):175-92.)
Characteristics of Our Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil For Hair Treatment
Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil for Hair Treatment is specially made for hair application. It has a slightly higher amount of protein than our other coconut oils, due to the presence of coconut solids. This Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil is a truly unrefined coconut oil
. This coconut oil is made on Mt. Banahaw and surrounding areas from organic coconuts
. Coconuts are used fresh (within 24-48 hours of harvest) from small family farms on Mt. Banahaw and other rural places in Quezon Province, the coconut capital of the Philippines. Only the highest quality coconuts are hand-picked from each harvest. The volcanic soil of Mt. Banahaw makes these organic coconuts some of the most nutritionally rich coconuts in the world! Testing done in independent laboratories
reveals higher levels of phenolic antioxidants than other coconut oils. The fresh coconut meat is shredded (wet milled
), and then cold-pressed
using the water from inside the coconuts to make coconut milk. The milk is then allowed to sit for about half a day, while the oil naturally separates from the heavier water. The oil is then filtered from the curds (coconut solids). No chemical or high-heat treatment is used, and this oil contains no trans fatty acids
. We do NOT mass produce this oil. It is made by families who are coconut farmers using old-fashioned traditional methods that have been used in the Philippines for hundreds of years.Â Our coconut trees and family producers are certified organic
according to strict USDA standards. The families who produce the oil are also trained according to GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) standards and re-certified each year. This high-grade Virgin Coconut Oil has a long shelf life due to the high antioxidant properties. The Gold Label standard is our highest standard for Virgin Coconut Oil.
Want your one virgin oil hair treatement products? Purchase some from here
!Â Please use my referral ID if you make a purchase. (there is a place to choose "How did you hear of us?" In the drop down menu, they will choose "Referred by a friend." Underneath this will be a place that says: "Referred by 5773581")
** OPEN TO U.S. & Canada**
Virgin Coconut Oil for Hair Treatment
*This entry must be completed or all other entries will be deleted, You must mention that you are following this blog & complete the task.*
be a follower of this blog (through google friend connect) AND
visit Tropical Traditions
and come back and let me know what product you would love to try! Be sure to leave your email address. If I have no way to contact you, I will choose another winner.
1 comment=1 entry
When making an entry I DO verify you have done what you say & that the mandatory entry has been completed. If no mandatory entry was completed all other entries will not qualify. Also, do not just say "i want to win this" or it will be deleted.Â
- Â 1 entry - Share your favorite Coconut Recipe off their site (here)
- 5 entries - Make a Purchase from Tropical Traditions. (5 entries for each item you purchase) --You must use my referral ID for this (there is a place to choose "How did you hear of us?" In the drop down menu, they will choose "Referred by a friend." Underneath this will be a place that says: "Referred by 5773581")
- 1 entry -Tweet about this giveawayÂ
- 2 entries - Subscribe to Tropical Traditions Newsletter
- (3 entries) Subscribe to my blog via Email & comment that you did so -if you already subscribed just let me know!
- (3 entries)Â download my tool bar
- (3 entries) Sign up for Swagbucks using my link. Be sure to let me know the 1st name & last initial you signed up under. --I WILL CHECK
- (1 entry) Add Closet of Free Samples on Myspace
- (1 entry) Add this giveaway to any MckLiny List or any other giveaway promotion site & leave link where it can be found
- (1 entry) Follow me on Twitter & comment that you did so with your twitter user name -if you are already just let me know!
- (1 entry) Grab my button & Add it to your page or place a link on your site linking back to my web site -comment with the link to where it was placed -if you did already just let me know! may be added to multiple pages, 1 entry each
- (1 entry each) Digg, Stumble (or any other similar site) my blog (heres the link of how to do that) --comment that you did so & your digg profile linkÂ (can also add this giveaway post for an additional entry)
- (1 entry) Tweet about this giveaway & comment with the link to your tweet. (can be done once per day)
- (1 entry) Become a Fan on Facebook -if you are already just let me know!
- (1 entry) Subscribe to my blog via reader
- (1 entry) Follow my blog on Networked Blogs
- (1 entry each) Subscribe to The Mommy Diary via email, google reader or follow with google friend connect.
- (5 entries) Blog this giveaway & comment with the link to your blog. --these can be done on a blog site, myspace, facebook, Gather, etc as long as I can see it
- (1 entry) Leave a comment with your favorite item off Zazzle Me Ashley, Scrappin A Moment, Closet of Treasures Thrift Store. -1 entry for each one!
All giveaways are for USA ONLY UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED. This would be stated at the very top under where it says "win it". Also, keep in mind, many places do not ship to P.O. Boxes and usually must be a residential address. If this is of concern feel free to contact me or the company before hand.
This is how it`s done via this is ONLY an example! The max number will be placed as how many comments are received. If only 20 comments are made then the max number will be 20.
Ends April 18, 2010
The winner will be selected via Random.org and will have 24 hours to respond to the winning email. If no response is made during that time period a new winner will be chosen. If you did not receive an email, it is up to you to contact me before the 24 hour period is up as I did try to contact you.
The winner also has the option to have the prize sent to someone else if they do not want/need it.