The sensory experience of finger paint is wonderful for toddlers and children. The connection to colors, the nurturing of creativity, and the freedom of expression are invaluable. Plus finger painting improves motor skills and introduces shape concepts. As a stay at home mom who homeschools an 8 year old and has a 2 year old that will be homeschooled as well, saving money is a MUST and what better way than making homemade paint from items that I generally have already laying around the house?! So here it goes:
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 cup of cornstarch
- 2 cups of cold water
- 4-6 jarsor glass containers
- 1 set of vegetable-based food coloring
- In a medium saucepan combine 4 tablespoons of sugar and 1/2 cup cornstarch.
- Add 2 cups of cold water and heat over medium heat until the mixture is thick.
- Divide into four or more containers, and add natural food coloring as desired.
- Let cool completely and enjoy!